ADBKA runs an annual ‘Introduction to Beekeeping’ Course. It is principally intended for those who might be thinking about taking up beekeeping and would like to know more about the craft. The course will also benefit those who are either just about to get bees or perhaps have already had bees for a short time.
Having attended the course, participants will:
- Understand the basics of honey bee biology and behaviour
- Know how to select a suitable apiary site and the equipment necessary to get started
- Be aware of a range of possible products of the hive and have a basic understanding of honey extraction, processing and packaging
- Be aware of the main honey bee diseases and understand the importance of hygienic practices
- Be aware of the skills, expense and time commitment required to get started in beekeeping
- Have experienced an inspection of a live hive of bees (weather permitting)
- Have had the opportunity to talk to experienced beekeepers
- Understand what support can be accessed via membership of ADBKA
The next course will run each Tuesday evening between 19 February and 26 March 2019 and will comprise:
- Six 90-minute lectures on bees and beekeeping
- The Life of the Honeybee
- The Apiary and the Hive
- Equipment, Bees and Getting Started
- Products of the Hive
- Help! There is something wrong with my bees
- The Beekeeping Year
- A visit to the ADBKA apiary to experience handling live bees (weekend of 13/14 April), view equipment and make up a hive frame. Duration about two hours.
The lectures will be held at the MacRobert Building, Aberdeen University, commencing at 7.30 pm, and the apiary visit is at Crathes castle.
Charges will be, for:
- Course only: £30
- Course and ADBKA 2019 membership: £40
- ADBKA members prior to 2019: £10
- Those in full-time education: No charge
Information on how to enrol will be published in mid November so please check back then if you are interested. Places are usually in demand and filled on a first-come-first-served basis. If you have any queries in the meantime, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.