ADBKA runs an annual ‘Introduction to Beekeeping’ Course. It is principally intended for those who might be thinking about taking up beekeeping and would like to know more about the craft. The course will also benefit those who are either just about to get bees or perhaps have already had bees for a short time.
Having attended the course, participants will:
- Understand the basics of honey bee biology and behaviour
- Know how to select a suitable apiary site and the equipment necessary to get started
- Be aware of a range of possible products of the hive and have a basic understanding of honey extraction, processing and packaging
- Be aware of the main honey bee diseases and understand the importance of hygienic practices
- Be aware of the skills, expense and time commitment required to get started in beekeeping
- Have experienced an inspection of a live hive of bees (weather permitting)
- Have had the opportunity to talk to experienced beekeepers
- Understand what support can be accessed via membership of ADBKA
The next course will be in February-March 2021 and will comprise:
- Six 90-minute lectures on honey bees and beekeeping
- The Life of the Honeybee
- The Apiary and the Hive
- Equipment, Bees and Getting Started
- Products of the Hive
- Help! There is something wrong with my bees
- The Beekeeping Year
- A visit to the ADBKA apiary at Crathes in April to experience handling live bees.
There is a nominal charge for the course, with concessions for ADBKA members and those taking out membership at the same time, and those receiving full-time education (school, college or university).
The lectures are held at a central Aberdeen location and the apiary visit is at Crathes.
Places are usually in demand and filled on a first-come-first-served basis.
If you wish to express interest in attending the next course and would like to be notified when registration opens (probably December 2020), please email email@example.com. Alternatively, check back on this site around that time. Use the same email address for any general queries about the course.